It’s the digital era – who prints anything anymore? A lot of people, as it turns out, and you never know when you won’t be able to show something on a mobile device and requires a hard copy.
If you’re in an office or professional environment, you’ll still need access to a printer to handle a day’s work full of documents and correspondence. Brother is one of the most well known printer manufacturers on the market today, and we’re going to show you ten of the best Brother printers to help you decide which is the right printer for you.
Why Do We Still Need Printers?
Even as digital overtakes physical in all forms of media, there will never be a total replacement for printed paper and ink. Visit any doctor’s office, law firm, or government branch and you’ll inevitably be asked to sign something which must be retained on paper. They might digitize the same document that you signed, but you can be sure that a hard copy will be retained just in case the database becomes corrupted or must be witnessed later.
What Type of Printer Should I Buy?
This is going to depend on the location of the printer, along with your personal reason for investing in one. If you just need it for correspondence and printing records of your signed documents, a simple inkjet printer will do fine – in fact, you might not even need to bother with a color printer, and it will save you a bit of money in the process!
If you want to print photos on a specific type of high-quality paper, there are printers that specialize in photo reproduction. For professional environments where documents have to be printed in mass quantities at high rates, you’ll want to think about using a laser printer. These are going to be much more expensive, but they’ll be worth it when you don’t have to wait minutes for one document to come out of the printer.
Where Should I Buy a Printer?
Printers are still available at large retailers such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Fry’s. If you’re not interested in looking at one in person, online retailers like Amazon and NewEgg stock a wide variety of printers.
Most of the time, you can find rebates and offers for financing or free shipping, and in some cases, you’ll be able to avoid paying sales tax. eBay is another option for finding a printer, as long as you pay close attention to the feedback profile of a vendor and ensure that you’re being sold a quality item.
Reviewing Brother Printers
We studied many different models in the Brother printer family to determine the top ten to include for the sake of this list. Along with reliability and the consistency of the Brother name, we paid close attention to the accuracy in document printing, color shades when using the correct ink, the average number of pages printed per minute, and how long an ink cartridge will last before needing replacement.
Prices of Brother Printers
Depending on how many features you’re looking for in a printer. This will increase as you add on components like wireless connections, color ink capability, and all-in-one inclusion for faxing and copying. The most expensive Brother printer will feature laser printing, the most efficient model for an office that needs to quickly produce large quantities of documents in a short time.
- Engineered for convenience – This new Brother Monochrome Laser Printer is conveniently equipped with a flatbed scan glass for quick copying and scanning. Mobile Device Compatibility AirPrint, Google Cloud Print 2.0, Brother iPrint and Scan, Mopria, Cortado Workplace
- Optimized for efficiency – Engineered with new features, the HL L2395DW laser printer (replacement for the HLL2380DW) and has been optimized for efficiency, allowing you to print up to 36 pages per minute(1)
- Faster, high quality prints: This monochrome laser printer is built with a 250 sheet paper capacity that helps improve efficiency due to less time spent refilling trays. It also handles both letter and legal sized paper. Power Source AC 120V 50/60Hz.Machine Noise (Ready/Printing): 30dB / 50dB
- Cloud based print & scan – Print from and scan to popular Cloud services directly from the 2.7" color touchscreen, including Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, OneNote, and more(4)
- Wireless printing & exceptional support – This printer’s simple to connect wireless technology allows you to submit print jobs from your laptop, smartphone, desktop, and tablets(2). The "Touch to connect" printing with NFC delivers added convenience(3). We provide free online, call, or live chat support for the life of your printer
This model allows you to print 36 pages of black and white ink per minute, and for the cost, it’s hard to beat this printer, which allows you to send documents from your mobile device directly to the printer. You’re able to place it on your home network through an Ethernet port or a wireless router.
While the HL-2395 doesn’t allow for color printing, this model is an excellent choice for those who make a regular habit of reproducing important documents, coupons, or calendar reminders. This model lacks a tray for receiving your printing, so make sure you have a free hand when it’s finished. A great pick for anyone in need of a printer, copier, and fax machine that can be used from anywhere in the house.
- Print Speed: up to 30ppm; Mono
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface for local connectivity
- Automatic Duplexing (two sided printing)
- Print Technology: Electrophotographic Laser
- 250-sheet capacity tray adjustable for letter or legal, plus a manual feed slot for envelope printing
Brother’s entry-level printer does only the minimum amount of work necessary to classify itself as a printer. There are no network capabilities, and you won’t be sending anything from a mobile device for printing without putting a document on your PC first.
With that being said, sometimes, all you need is a black-and-white printer that can print concert tickets or vehicle registration verification. Like the 2395, this doesn’t have an output tray, so be careful not to let your printing fall to the ground. Don’t overlook this option if you need or know someone who is in need of a printer that does exactly what printers were designed to do in the first place.
- Your purchase includes One Brother MFC-J6930DW All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Carton Contents: LC3017 Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow High Yield Ink Cartridges CD-ROM & User Manuals
- Printer dimensions: 22.6” W x 18.8” D x 14.7” H. Printer Weight: 51.6 lbs. Carton dimensions: 22.5” W x 26.5” D x 19.5” H. Carton Weight: 58.4 lbs
- Printer can connect with a USB cable as well as WiFi and other wireless choices
- Print, Copy, Scan, Fax up to 11"x17" Ledger-size scan glass and up to 50-sheet ADF. Single-pass duplex scan/copy and automatic two-sided printing. Machine Noise (Ready/Printing): Approx. 50dB
- Upon activation, Amazon Dash Replenishment measures the toner level and orders more from Amazon when it is low
For those who are looking for something with a few more bells and whistles, this all-in-one device might be what you need. On top of wireless networking options and mobile printing, the MFC-J6930DW has a touch screen for your convenience. This makes quick copies and sending faxes even easier and allows you to check ink levels and network connection levels without running a system test from your PC. It’s not as efficient as other printers – you’ll only get 20 color pages per minute and 22 if you’re printing black and white.
- With space on your work surface often at a premium, this wireless monochrome laser printer's compact footprint makes it a great way to add a printing solution to your desk. The ultra-fast print speeds of the Brother HL-L2370DW printer help ensure that even large documents can be printed in just a few minutes.
- Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) capability lets you send print requests from virtually anywhere. Features a variety of mobile device printing options, including AirPrint, Brother iPrint&Scan and Wi-Fi Direct.
- Print speeds of up to 36 ppm allow you to quickly finish printing large documents. Prints the 1st page in as little as 8.5 seconds. Based on one-sided printing. Change from default setting required.
- Print resolution of up to 2400 x 600 dpi creates crisp, sharp images.
- Manual feed slot can accommodate a wide range of paper types and sizes, such as stock and envelopes, to help you create professional-looking letterheads.
The 2370 is, for all intents and purposes, a wireless-enabled version of the 2320: no output tray, black and white, and not much else in the way of features. The added convenience of hooking this to a network, however, allows more than one person in a house or small office to print what they need.
If you don’t plan on using color documents and need to split access to the printer among several different people, the HL-2370 is a cost-efficient way to provide printing capabilities to everyone who needs it. Don’t underestimate the horsepower of this printer, either – Brother promises up to 15,000 prints a month from this model!
- FAST PRINT AND SCAN: The Brother MFC-9130CW lets you get things done with up to 19 ppm print speed and scans up to 29 ipm in black and 22 ipm in color
- AFFORDABLE AND FLEXIBLE COLOR PRINTING: Affordably print professional quality, rich, vivid color documents with laser printer quality. The 250 sheet adjustable paper tray helps minimize refills and the manual feed slot handles varied printing needs
- 3.7” COLOR TOUCHSCREEN: Print from and scan to popular cloud apps directly from the 3.7" color touchscreen including Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, OneNote and more. Save time by creating custom shortcuts on the touchscreen for your most used features.
- PRINT AND CONNECT YOUR WAY: Print wirelessly from your desktop, laptop, smartphone and tablet with built-in wireless, and Wi-Fi Direct or connect locally to a single computer via USB interface.
- UNIT DIMENSIONS (WxDxH): 16.1” W x 19” D x 16.1” H
Brother’s relatively inexpensive option for an all-in-one laser color printer does just about anything you could ask for in a document printing device. You can hook this into a wireless network and use a mobile device to queue up your documents and expect about 19 pages per minute to come out.
One thing to keep in mind, if you plan to use this for a professional setting, is the lack of two-sided printing as a feature. Like some other compact Brother models, this doesn’t include any tray for output, so remember that if you have a giant document coming in multiple pages.
- INNOVATIVE SCANNING CAPABILITY: Supports multiple scan-to destinations such as email, USB, SharePoint, Cloud Services, Network, and more. (1) First Page Out Time 7. 2 seconds max. Printer Driver Compatibility Windows, macOS, Linux. Black Print Speed max. 42 ppm. (2) Mobile Device Compatibility AirPrint, Brother iPrint&Scan, Mopria, Cortado Workplace, Wi-Fi Direct (3)
- ADVANCED SECURITY FEATURES: MFCL5800DW helps protect against unauthorized device and document access, and securely connect to your network
- 70-PAGE AUTO DOCUMENT FEEDER: The 70-page capacity auto document feeder is perfect for unattended copying, faxing, or scanning. Power Source - AC 120V 50/60Hz
- DASH REPLENISHMENT ENABLED: Upon activation, Dash Replenishment measures the toner level and orders more from when it’s low. Operating Environment Temperature 50-90F
- FOR USE WITH BROTHER GENUINE TONERS: TN820 Standard Yield Toner, TN850 High Yield Toner for cost efficient output. Copy Resolution 1200 x 600 dpi
The L5800 is deceptive in its features. You might look at the label and ask, “Why would I buy this one? No color capabilities and I can’t send directly from my phone. What’s the point?” By the time you’re done asking this question, this beast of a printer has pumped out 42 pages in a minute, more than any other laser printer on this list. Furthermore, it’s network-enabled, perfect for a mid-sized office that doesn’t want to blow their budget on a printer. One of the best on the list for sure!
- Upon activation, the Amazon Dash Replenishment service measures the toner level and automatically orders toner from Amazon when low. This ensures that you never run out again.
- Fast, high-quality printing at up to 23 ppm. No scanner or fax function.
- Wireless and automatic two-sided printing. 18.3 x 16.1 x 9.4 inches.
- High-impact business printing, at up to 600 x 2400 dp
- 250-sheet capacity paper tray, adjustable for letter or legal,Standard Interface(s):Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Ethernet, Hi-Speed USB 2.0
Here’s the elite personal printer of the list: a small model that hides a color laser. You can print just about anything instantly, and average 23 pages per minute if you need extra copies for the family. It works directly from a mobile device, so the kids can print their homework resources at the same time you find a new recipe for the night. Don’t get the papers mixed up, though – there’s no tray to catch anything you print on this model, which looks similar to the 2300 series.
- Design that delivers High availability, scalability, and for maximum flexibility and price/performance
- Easy to install
- The country of Origin is Philippines
If you need an upgrade from the 2370 as well as copying and fax capabilities, this might be the device for you. You can send documents from your phone or tablet through a wireless network and make copies or send faxes through the touchscreen.
You should know, however, that this is one of the slowest printers on the list, averaging only 10 pages per minute when using color ink. Keep this printer in mind if you use faxing, copying, and printing sparingly and don’t need to worry about lots of copies at once.
- Perfect all-in-one – The MFC-L2750DW developed for the busy home or small office, Brother’s latest compact laser all-in-one printer features advanced printing at 36 pages per minute(1) as well as faxing, copying, and scanning capabilities
- Engineered for productivity – This replacement for the MFCL2740DW helps save time with single-pass duplex (2-sided) copying and scanning via an up to 50-sheet automatic document feeder along with multi-page copying, scanning, and faxing functions
- Printing on the go: Send print jobs wirelessly from your desktop, laptop, smartphone, and tablet(2). The "Touch to Connect" printing with NFC gives added convenience(3)
- Cloud based print & scan – Print from and scan to popular Cloud services directly from the 2.7" color touchscreen, including Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, OneNote, and more(4)
- Wireless printing & exceptional support – easily connect via wireless connections from your laptop, smartphone, desktop, and tablets. We provide free online, call, or live chat support for the life of your printer. Copy resolution: 600 x 600 Max. Dpi. Power source-ac 120V 50/60Hz
The 2750 is one of the most efficient printers on the list, capable of printing 36 black and white pages per minute. Unlike some of its similar cousins in the 2700 series, this model contains a resting output tray, so you don’t have to worry about snatching a paper before the ink has dried. It’s compatible with wireless networks and wired alike, allowing you to print important legal notations from anywhere in the house.
- UNIT DIMENSIONS: 19.5" W x 20.7" D x 21.6" H | Unit Weight: 63.1 lbs
- ALL-IN-ONE SOLUTION: The Brother MFC-L8900CDW Color Laser All-in-One is an exceptional printer for businesses that require large print and copy volume
- BUSINESS PRINTING & COPYING: This printer increases productivity with print speeds up to 33 ppm and scan speeds for double-sided pages up to 58 IPM
- CONNECTIVITY: Built-in wireless 802. 11b/g/n and Gigabit Ethernet network interface allows for easy set up and sharing on a wireless or wired network; CPU (Processor) Speed (MHz): 800
- ADVANCED SCANNING: Wirelessly scan to mobile devices with the Brother iPrint & Scan or popular destinations including SharePoint and more.
Whether we saved the best for last depends on what you need in a printer. This is the Rolls Royce of Brother printers and does it all: a laser color all-in-one device that runs on a network and accepts print queues from mobile devices. Combine this with the hefty price tag and it’s probably not necessary for anyone to own this in a residence, unless they have their own printing business. Even with all its features, it still finds time to print 33 pages per minute.
The 8900 is a fantastic choice for an office that needs color capabilities in a printer that’s going to see a lot of use on a daily basis.
|BROTHER HL-2395DW||Functions A4 Duplex Wireless Network Mono Laser Printer, Flatbed Colour Scanner, Flatbed CopierEngine Mono Laser Standard Memory 128MBLCD Display 6.8cm Colour LCD Touch ScreenPrint Speed Up to 34 ppm Printer Resolution 600 x 600 dpi, HQ1200 (2400 x 600 dpi) quality, 1200 x 1200 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 SheetsInterface USB 2.0 @ Hi-Speed, 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet and IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless, IEEE 802.11g/n (Wi-Fi Direct)Mobile/Web Print iPrintScan, AirPrint, Web Connect, Google Cloud Print, MopriaDimension (WxDxH) 410 x 398 x 272 mm Weight 9.4 Kg Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER HL-2320D||Functions Duplex Mono Laser Printer, Flatbed Colour ScannerEngine Mono Laser Standard Memory 8MBLCD Display NoPrint Speed Up to 30 ppm Printer Resolution Up to 2400 x 600 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 SheetsInterface Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, Wi Fi DirectMobile/Web Print AirPrint®, Google Cloud Print™, Brother iPrint&Scan, Wi-Fi Direct®, Mopria®Dimension (WxDxH) 22.6″ x 18.8″ x 14.7″ Weight 51.6 lbs. Warranty 2 Years||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-J6930DW||Functions A3 Colour Inkjet Printer, Colour Fax, Flatbed Digital Copier, Duplex Flatbed Colour Scanner, Direct Print/Scan, PC-FaxEngine Colour Inkjet Standard Memory 256MBLCD Display 9.3cm Panel TFT TouchScreen Colour LCDPrint Speed Up to 68 Seconds Printer Resolution Up to 1200×4800 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Upper Tray: Up to 250 Sheets, Lower Tray: Up to 250 Sheets Copier Speed 12/9 ipm Digital Scanner Colour Scanner Type Flatbed Digital Scanning Technology Dual CIS Digital-Media Type USB Flash MemoryInterface Hi-Speed USB 2.0, 10/100Base-TX Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless, Wi-Fi Direct and NFCMobile/Web Print iPrintScan, Airprint, Web Connect, Google Cloud Print, Brother Apps, MopriaDimension (WxDxH) 575 x 477 x 374 mm Weight 23.6 Kg Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER HL-2370DW||Functions Duplex Mono Laser PrinterEngine Mono Laser Standard Memory 64MBLCD Display 1-Line LCDPrint Speed Up to 36 ppm Printer Resolution Up to 2400 x 600 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Interface Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Wi Fi Direct, Hi-Speed USB 2.0Mobile/Web Print AirPrint®, Google Cloud Print™ 2.0, Brother iPrint&Scan, Mopria®, Cortado Workplace, Wi-Fi Direct®Dimension (WxDxH) 14.0″ x 14.2″ x 7.2″ Weight 15.9 lbs. Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-9130CW||Functions Color Print Copy Scan Fax PC-FAX Standard Memory 192MbLCD Display 3.7″ TouchscreenPrint Speed Up to 19 ppm Printer Resolution Up to 600 x 2400 dpi Copying Capability Black and White, Color Design Style Flatbed Scanning Capability Black and White, ColorStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Interface Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Wi Fi Direct, Hi-Speed USB 2.0Mobile/Web Print Google Cloud Print™, Brother iPrint&Scan, Wi-Fi Direct®Dimension (WxDxH) 16.1″ x 19.0″ x 16.1″ Weight 49.6 lbs. Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-L5800||Functions Color Print Copy Scan Fax PC-FAX Engine Mono Laser Standard Memory 256 MBLCD Display 3.7″ Color Touch ScreenPrint Speed Up to 42 ppm Printer Resolution Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi Copying Resolution Up to 1200 x 600 dpi Scanning Resolution 1200 x 1200 dpi, 600 x 600 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Interface Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, Hi-Speed USB 2.0Mobile/Web Print AirPrint®, Google Cloud Print™ 2.0, Brother iPrint&Scan, Mopria®, Cortado Workplace, Wi-Fi Direct®Dimension (WxDxH) 19.5″ x 16.8″ x 19.1″ Weight 37.9 lbs. Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER HL-3170CDW||Functions A4 Wireless Network Colour LED/Laser Printer Engine Colour LED (Single cycle) Standard Memory 128MBLCD Display 1-line, 16 charactersPrint Speed Up to 22 ppm Printer Resolution 600 x 600 dpi, 2400 dpi (600 x 2400) qualityStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Interface Hi-Speed USB2.0 10Base-T/ 100Base-TX Ethernet 802.11 b/g/n WirelessDimension (WxDxH) 16.1″ x 18.3″ x 9.4″ Weight 39 lbs. Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-J885DW||Functions Color (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax) Engine Color InkjetStandard Memory 128MBLCD Display 2.7″ Touchscreen Print Speed Up to 12 ppmPrinter Resolution Up to 6000 x 1200 dpi Copying Capability Black and White, Color Scanning Capability Black and White, ColorStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 SheetsInterface Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, NFC, Wi Fi Direct, Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Mobile/Web Print AirPrint®, Google Cloud Print™, Brother iPrint&Scan, Mopria®, Wi-Fi Direct®, NFCDimension (WxDxH) 15.7″ x 13.4″ x 6.8″Weight 16.8 lbs.Warranty 2 Years||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-2750DW||Functions Laser Printer, Laser Fax, Flatbed Colour Scanner, Flatbed Digital Laser Copier, PC Fax Engine Mono LaserStandard Memory 256MBLCD Display 68mm TFT Colour LCD (Touchscreen) Print Speed Up to 34 ppmPrinter Resolution 600 x 600 dpi, HQ1200 (2400 x 600 dpi) quality, 1200 x 1200 dpiStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Copier Speed Up to 34 cpm Copier Resolution Maximum 600 x 600 dpi Scanner Colour/Mono Colour Scanner Type Flatbed Digital Scanning Technology Dual CISInterface Hi-Speed USB 2.0, 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet and IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless, Wi-Fi Direct, NFC Mobile/Web Print iPrintScan, AirPrint, Web Connect, Google Cloud Print, Brother Apps, MopriaDimension (WxDxH) 16.1″ x 15.7″ x 12.5″Weight 26.5 lbs.Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
|BROTHER MFC-L8900CDW||Functions Laser Printer, Laser Fax, Flatbed Colour Scanner, Flatbed Digital Laser Copier, PC Fax Engine Colour LaserStandard Memory 512MBLCD Display 12.6cm Panel Touchscreen Colour LCD Print Speed Up to 31 ppmPrinter Resolution 600 x 600dpi, 2400dpi (2400 x 600) qualityStandard Paper Capacity Up to 250 Sheets Copier Speed Up to 31 cpm Copier Resolution Maximum 1200 x 600 dpi Scanner Colour/Mono Colour Scanner Type Flatbed Digital Scanning Technology Dual CISInterface Hi-Speed USB 2.0, 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Ethernet and IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Wireless Mobile/Web Print iPrintScan, AirPrint, Web Connect, Google Cloud Print, Brother Apps, MopriaDimension (WxDxH) 19.5″ x 20.7″ x 21.6″Weight 63.1 lbs.Warranty 1 Year||Buy on Amazon|
Based on all our research, and the needs of different types of people who may need to use a Brother printer, we can’t choose one printer for an all-encompassing choice.
If you need a printer that can replicate a black and white document once in a while and doesn’t cost you too much for the initial investment, we would recommend the 2320. Yes, it’s the cheapest one on the list, and it doesn’t hook up to any networks, but if all you need is a black and white printer for one computer, there’s no reason to spend any more money than necessary on a Brother printer and can still produce 30 pages per minute. If you need color capabilities, the 3170 is your best bet.
If you’re going to be replacing an office printer, the requirements for a Brother printer will be raised substantially. You need a printer that can shoot out lots of paper in a short amount of time, and it might help to have a device capable of sending faxes and making copies all at once.
In this case, we’re putting all our eggs in one basket, just like the MFC-8900CDW. It’s not going to come cheap, but the number of features in this all-in-one device is too rich to ignore, especially if your office relies on teams or divisions and needs a capable device.
If you can sacrifice color but still need network capabilities and the ability to copy or fax, the L5800DW gets our next pick, with its ability to give you 42 pages in a minute. Just remember to set aside the dollars you save toward new ink cartridges – you would be amazed how quickly any printer can go through ink, and it will happen just as you’re preparing to print something incredibly important!