Klipsch is well known within the speaker industry due to its eponymous founder Paul Klipsch.
Paul Klipsch was considered an eccentric genius who was committed to excellence and innovation.
The company Klipsch reflects these values, and they are known today as one of the most trustworthy manufacturers of speakers.
Yet, many customers can get overwhelmed by all the speaker options available. Prices range depending on what kind of speaker you want.
In this article, we have selected 2 of the best speakers that Klipsch offers. What distinguishes these speakers is a combination of accessibility, affordability, durability, and acoustics.
We start off with an overview of these speakers, specifically the R-15M and Groove. Then, we discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each, finally comparing these speakers to other popular ones on the markets.
An Overview of the R-15M Klipsch Speakers
- Get power and versatility in a small package, the Klipsch R-15M bookshelf speakers pack a mean punch.
- These speakers perform beautifully as a left,center,right, or surround.
- Dual 5.25" copper-spun high-output IMG woofers. Brushed black polymer veneer cabinet
- Klipsch Reference Bookshelf speakers feature a rear-firing port that is perfectly match to the cabinet and drivers.
- Features bass reflex via rear firing port enclosure type. Sensitivity 94 db at 2.83 volt per 1 minute
A pair of R-15M Klipsch speakers can be purchased on Amazon.
These are bookshelf speakers that are encased in a black polymer cabinet. Each cabinet is 12.5 inches in height, 7 inches in width, and 8.1 inches in depth.
Each cabinet features a horn-loaded tweeter with a 1-inch diameter as well as a copper-spun woofer with a 5.25-inch diameter.
Klipsch advertises that these speakers are ideal for filling small to medium-sized rooms. They must be paired with a receiver in order to work.
The Benefits of the R-15M Klipsch Speakers
Perhaps the most distinguishing feature of these Klipsch speakers is their price.
When you consider that each cabinet delivers powerful, crisp acoustics, the total cost seems even more affordable. You could view this deal as customers getting two speakers. This just shows how worthwhile these Klipsch speakers are on a financial level.
Customers can use their saved money to purchase even more speakers, allowing them maximum control over sculpting the sound system of their space. In this sense, the low cost of these Klipsch speakers makes them perfect for anyone focused on acquiring many speakers.
Many people take this technological approach when designing a house or room. Instead of buying one or two high-end speakers that are expensive, some homeowners choose to buy several cheaper speakers. This method allows you to disperse sound more evenly in a room as well as buy differently sized speakers.
In this sense, the R-15M Klipsch speakers are dynamic while also providing balanced acoustics. The inclusion of the horn-loaded tweeter with the 5.25-inch woofer makes these speakers perfect for listening to a wide range of sounds. Yet, the R-15M would also pair perfectly with a sub-woofer, allowing the user to really finetune their sound system.
The Main Drawback of the R-15M Klipsch Speakers
The main drawback of these speakers is that they require a receiver in order to function. This limits how dynamic they are, essentially binding them to a receiver for their life.
This means that users have to use wires to connect these speakers to a receiver, which is antagonistic to the wireless direction the world is moving.
These wires would also make it difficult to situate the speakers far away from the receiver without sacrificing the aesthetics of the room. Additionally, wiring speakers to receivers that are far away can be a hassle even when you can hide the wires.
Many people like to invest in a pair of speakers that they use in many ways throughout its life. A customer might use speakers to finish some home entertainment system initially but use them in an office several years down the road. The R-15M Klipsch speakers are not ideal in this regard since they cannot function independently of a receiver.
- Affordable price
- Dynamic and providing balanced acoustics
- Perfect for listening to a wide range of sounds
- Requires a receiver to function
- Cannot function independently of a receiver
Our Final Thoughts on the R-15M Klipsch Speakers
Ultimately, if you have a receiver that would pair well with the R-15M, we think you’ll be extremely satisfied with your purchase.
Even though these Klipsch speakers are less dynamic than some other speakers, we think the low price sufficiently compensates for this. At the end of the day, if you are building a sound system, an extra pair of solid speakers never hurts. If you end up wanting to use these speakers away from the receiver, you can always just buy another receiver.
In this sense, even though more powerful speakers exist, we think the R-15M is worthwhile due to its affordability and the sound quality it delivers.
An Overview of the Klipsch Groove Speaker
- 8-hour Rechargeable Battery
- Crisp, Clear, Non Muffled Sound (hear your music how you want to)
- Splash Resistant – Protecting You from the Friend that Spills Everything
- 3" Full Range High Excursion Driver
- Dual Side-firing Passive Bass Radiators
The Klipsch Groove can be purchased on Amazon.
This Klipsch speaker is portable and can be paired to a receiver using Bluetooth technology. Most commonly, phones, music players, or computers can function as receivers, allowing you to control what sounds are played.
This Klipsch speaker can also be connected to a device using a traditional 3.5mm auxiliary cord.
This Klipsch speaker features a full range driver with a 3-inch diameter as well as two bass radiators that are on the side of the speaker.
The Klipsch Groove is 4.5 inches tall, 5.5 inches wide, and 2.6 inches deep. It weighs 1.7 pounds.
This Klipsch speaker uses a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 8 hours. Additionally, Klipsch considers this speaker splash-resistant.
The Benefits of the Klipsch Groove Speaker
The primary benefit of this Klipsch speaker is its portability.
Lighter than most laptops, this speaker can easily be carried from room to room or taken in a car. Many users even take the Klipsch Groove with them every time they travel, providing a constant source of crisp, clear, loud music.
Some users even buy multiple devices since each one is so cheap. Then they distribute these to multiple environments, like their work office, their home bedroom, and their bathroom. This is only possible with a speaker that is compact, powerful, and cheap.
If a portable speaker is not one of these things, then it’s not a worthwhile purchase. Consider a powerful and cheap speaker that isn’t compact but instead is large or difficult to carry. This would make it difficult to buy many of them as well as take with you on the go.
Even though many people use portable speakers in a single setting, it’s also often used in transit when people are walking, driving, biking, or even skateboarding. This would be difficult with a larger speaker.
The Klipsch Groove essentially addresses the three most important factors when determining a worthwhile speaker, namely the size, acoustics, and price.
Due to the number of speaker options now available to customers, it’s helpful to think of your speakers as a system comprised of many different devices, some small, some large, some stationary, some portable. In this sense, the Klipsch Groove makes your speaker system more dynamic while having very little financial downsides.
The Drawbacks of the Klipsch Groove Speaker
When used appropriately, the Klipsch Groove is surprisingly effective at filling most small or medium-sized rooms. However, you can’t buy multiple units in order to synergize the sound, as your device only pairs with one speaker.
Some newer phones are able to pair with multiple speakers at once using Bluetooth technology, but this is not common within the electronics industry more generally. Most computers can’t accomplish this nor can most phones or music players.
If you wanted to use multiple Klipsch Groove speakers to create some kind of sound system, you would have to connect each speaker using a USB cable to the receiver. This is feasible, but ultimately negates the benefits of the speaker’s wireless portability feature.
Additionally, some users have mentioned that it’s difficult to determine the ideal position and location when using the Klipsch Groove. Many users have noted that the sound quality is very sensitive to where the speakers are pointed as well as where they are located in your field. Thus, any time you enter a new environment, you might have to spend some time experimenting with various angles and locations.
- Lighter than most laptops
- Cheap in price
- Bluetooth technology
- 8-hour rechargeable battery
- Can only pair one speaker per device
- Need to use USB cable to connect multiple Klipsch Groove speakers
- Difficult to determine the ideal position and location when using
- Sound quality is very sensitive
Our Final Thoughts on the Klipsch Groove Speaker
We think the Klipsch Groove speaker is so portable and reliable that you will likely forget these drawbacks.
The portable speaker market has been burgeoning in recent years as customers are realizing how important it is to play music loudly and cleanly on the go.
Klipsch takes advantage of this trend without going overboard or overly simple. Many portable speakers go in one of those directions, giving customers an imbalanced product they will later regret.
The Klipsch Groove speaker has a modest price and set of features, which makes it perfect for listening to music casually or on the go.
Many people like to run with it and then use it as a speaker during some remote workout. This is a testament to how light and mobile it is, as well as how it can enhance any activity.
Furthermore, since it’s considered splash-resistant, it would enhance any water-related activity like swimming in a pool or going to the beach. In these situations, customers will not have to worry as much about damaging the device, as it can withstand a few drops of water.
What limits many of the most powerful speakers on the market is their sensitivity in rugged conditions like these, as even a splash of water could impact the performance of more expensive speakers. In this sense, the Klipsch Groove offers solid acoustics without sacrificing a durable structure.
How Do these Klipsch Speakers Compare to Products from Competitors?
There are a number of portable speakers on the market that have comparable features to the Klipsch Groove.
- Fabulous Looks Mighty Performance Carry your music with you anywhere you go. Beaches, gyms, pool parties, long drives, outdoors or in your own house. Dazzling aluminum grill complements the modern, minimalist rubberized finish on the body of these best-in-class Bluetooth speakers.
- Waterproof and Shock-Absorbing Design - (IPX5 certified), The M90 Bluetooth Speaker can rock a party out outdoors & indoors beaches, poolside bashes or impromptu house parties, this rough-and-tough, rugged speaker is all you need to set the ball rolling!
- Experience Bass Like Never Before - Unlike ordinary Bluetooth speakers, the monster Photive M90 Bluetooth Speaker amplifies higher as well as lower bass frequencies thanks to the unique combo of powerful stereo sound (20W) & a passive subwoofer! A power-packed bass experience on the go is finally here
- Bigger, Stronger, Better - 20 Watts Of Power unlike ordinary Bluetooth speakers, the monster Photive M90 Bluetooth Speaker amplifies higher as well as lower bass frequencies thanks to the unique combo of powerful stereo sound (20W) plus a passive subwoofer
- Extended Battery Life- 10-hr Battery Life to Keep the Beats Going. Ordinary Bluetooth speakers just cant handle the heavy load of bass and stereo for long hours.
For example, the Photive M90 can be purchased on Amazon. It has a 10-hour battery life and is advertised as water-resistant. In this sense, the M90 might be a more rugged speaker than the Groove, but the Groove produces a much cleaner, louder sound.
When it comes to bookshelf speakers, there are also many options on the market. For example, the Edifier R1280T can be purchased on Amazon. This price includes two enclosures, each of which houses a tweeter and a full range speaker with a diameter of 4 inches.
- 2 x AUX INPUT - Convenient connection to any device that has a 3.5mm headphone output or dual RCA output. Connect to two devices via AUX at the same time, no plugging and switching needed. (None Bluetooth version)
- STUDIO SOUND QUALITY - Natural sound reproduction from 13mm silk dome tweeter and 4 inch full range unit
- REMOTE CONTROL - Adjust volume at your figure tips. Bass and treble control located on the side of main speaker.
- CLASSIC WOOD FINISH - High quality MDF wood build finished with wood effect vinyl serves as a great compliment to any home decor.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
What’s unique about the R128OT is that it has an auxiliary input, allowing users to directly connect their device to the speakers.
These Edifier speakers also have traditional channels on the back if the user wanted to hook them up to a receiver, perhaps as part of some home entertainment system.
At the end of the day, the Klipsch R-15M are larger, more powerful speakers, though the R1280T is a more dynamic product.
If you were uncertain where you wanted to use your speaker, you might be better off with the R1280T. It will offer you more flexibility since it can function on its own or can be paired with a receiver. The R-15M, on the other hand, would not be ideal for a location without a nearby receiver.
Our Final Thoughts on Klipsch Speakers
|R-15M Klipsch Speakers||Power and versatility in a small package Dual 5.25″ copper-spun high-output IMg woofers Brushed black polymer veneer cabinet 12.5″ x 7″ x 8.1″ dimension Less dynamic, but very affordable||Buy on Amazon|
|Klipsch Groove Speakers||8-hour rechargeable battery Crisp, clear, non-muffled sound Splash resistant Bluetooth technology 4.5″ x 5.5″ x 2.6″ dimension Portable and reliable||Buy on Amazon|
Ultimately, we think the market for speakers is crowded with possibilities, both within the Klipsch lineup and outside of it.
We selected the R-15M and the Groove as the 2 best Klipsch speakers mainly because they are both so affordable and reliable. Neither will turn your next party into Project X, though both will deliver consistently high-quality sound.
We think customers crave this consistency, which is why we emphasized this value when we were doing our research. Almost every customer review from both of these speakers claimed a positive experience free of defects or malfunctions. Klipsch is known as a trustworthy company, which is why their products are so popular.
Klipsch makes many other more expensive speakers, some of them costing thousands of dollars. These often feature larger speakers, more components, and greater versatility.
Yet, these are also usually less portable and accessible given their investment. Thus, we think the R-15M and the Groove are generally smarter options to go with, unless you have some specialized interest in sound performance.
Still, even if you are building a large sound system, both the R-15M and the Groove would complement any collection of speakers.